Skip to main content

Book of Mormon Stories

Dear Reader,


Today I simply want to share a story that has strengthened my testimony of the Book of Mormon over the years.

Professor Felix Mynhardt was fluent in many languages, including English, Afrikaans, Hebrew and Egyptian, as well as many others. He was employed as a language professor when he had been praying that the Lord would give him some divinely important task that would justify his having this gift of language from God.
In 1970 he visited with a group of Mormon leaders, who sought to commission him to translate the Book of Mormon from English into Afrikaans. He said that he knew of the Book of Mormon from his religions studies, and his initial reaction was that he did not want to be involved in translating it. However, that evening, as he prayed upon his knees, as was his habit, he said the Spirit of the Lord convinced him. The message was something on the order of, "You asked me for a great, divinely inspired task of translation, I sent it to you in the form of translating the Book of Mormon, and you declined." Professor Mynhardt said he could not sleep through the night because he knew that translating the Book of Mormon would get him into trouble with his university, which was owned and operated by the Dutch Reformed Church. When morning came he telephoned Elder Clark to inform him that he would begin the translation immediately.
He stood at the pulpit at a conference in 1972 and described the experience, "I never begin translating a book at the beginning. Writing style usually changes through a book, and becomes more consistent toward the middle. Accordingly, I opened to a random place in the middle of the Book of Mormon, and began translating. I was startled by the obvious fact that the Book of Mormon was not authored in English. It became immediately apparent that what I was reading was a translation into English from some other language. The sentence structure was wrong for native English. The word choices were wrong, as were many phrases. How many times has an Englishman said or written, ‘And it came to pass?’  When I realized this, I knew that I had to find the original language, and translate it back into the original language, or a similar language to the original, and then proceed to translate it into Afrikaans."
He tried half a dozen languages, all of which did not accommodate the strange sentence structure found in the Book of Mormon. He said, "I finally tried Egyptian, and to my complete surprise, I found that the Book of Mormon translated flawlessly into Egyptian, not modern, but ancient Egyptian. I found that some nouns were missing from Egyptian, so I added Hebrew nouns where Egyptian did not provide the word or phrase. I chose Hebrew because both languages existed in the same place anciently. I had no idea at that time why the Book of Mormon was once written in Egyptian, but I can tell you without any doubt, that this book was at one point written entirely in Egyptian. Imagine my utter astonishment when I turned to chapter one, verse one and began my actual translation and came to verse two, where Nephi describes that he was writing in the language of the Egyptians, with the learning of the Jews! I knew by the second verse, that this was no ordinary book, that it was not the writings of Joseph Smith, but that it was of ancient origin and was in fact scripture. I could have saved myself months of work if I had just begun at the beginning.
Nobody but God, working through a prophet of God, in this case Nephi, would have included a statement of the language he was writing in. Consider, how many documents written in English, include the phrase, "we are writing in English!" It is unthinkable and absolute proof of the inspired origins of this book. I am one of the few people in the world that is fluent in ancient Egyptian. I am perhaps the only person fluent in ancient Egyptian who is also fluent in Afrikaans and English. And I know for a fact, that I am the only person alive who could have translated this book first into Egyptian, and then into Afrikaans. I do not know what Joseph Smith was before he translated this book, and I do not know what he was afterward, but while he translated this book, he was a prophet of God! I know he was a prophet! I testify to you that he was a prophet while he brought forth this book! He could have been nothing else! No person in 1827 could have done what he did. The Book of Mormon is scripture. I hope you realize this.
The only thing I know about the Mormon religion is that you have authentic, ancient scripture in the Book of Mormon, that your church was begun by a living and true prophet of God, and that all of the world should embrace the Book of Mormon as scripture. It simply can’t be denied."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Doo da Day!

Dear Readers, You'll all be pleased to know that I accomplished something recently. It involves music and I feel very proud of myself. I was selected by our music director to play in our school's concerto night sometime during the month of May. This is one of the few things I've been hoping to do for a very long time. Although, there are a few reservations about being part of this honor. One of which deals with how the selection process works. I know it doesn't matter in the least bit, but I can't help thinking about me being picked as a senior. I tried out last year and did not make it as one of the soloists. I have to assume that had to be part of the process in selecting someone when looking at the list of soloists. They are all amazingly talented people in music, many of which were part of Concerto night last night. Most of the ones who were not participated in the Spring Concert as soloists. See what I mean? It could be possible that I was picked merely because

You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breath, shine like gold...

Dear Readers, Ok, so I can't fit the entire title into the title box. It's a good song, go look it up: "You make me smile." The title can apply to anyone, I've found. The rest of the lyrics would probably refer to a best friend or a significant other, but anyone can make you smile. They all have the own way of doing it. Some are just funny all the time and you can't help smiling when you're around that person. I know some who take care of people so well that you just smile when they're doing something for another. Others you can talk to about your problems and no matter what they say, it seems to make sense and you feel better...thus a smile. Ok, a smile doesn't always come in that case, but people usually smile after that. Anyone can have a blonde moment and make everyone smile because of it. I'm glad I've got friends who can do all of these: have blonde moments, take care of others or have an episode of hyperactivity that you can't he

That's What Makes the World Go 'Round!

Dear Reader, Bonus points go to whoever can name what movie today's song title comes from. Comment below to submit your answers. Today I wanted to give you an update on the great " ALS Ice Bucket Challenge " that is taking the internet by storm. What started as a small campaign to raise awareness and funds for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease) has grown and caused thousands of people to dump ice or ice water over their heads. That is how it works: one person nominates another to the challenge. That nominated person then has 24 hours to either donate $100 to the ALS foundation or have a bucket of ice dumped over their head. I would like to think most people are both accepting the ice bucket challenge and donating to charity. I won't judge, though. With all of this publicity that the ALS campaign has received, it made me think of other fads that people participated in during the 1920s and 1930s. Did you know that people regularly participated