Skip to main content

Am I Proud to Be an American?

This weekend is the 4th of July, or Independence Day in the United States of America. One of my favorite songs during this time of celebrating the country is "God Bless the USA." The words paint a detailed picture of the beauty of the United States, both in a physical and emotional aspect. Our country is often depicted in a majestic manner such as this, making it seem like the greatest in the world and we often hear those bold words, "I'm proud to be an American." 



With all of the issues that have been cropping up over the past couple of years such as impeachment, systemic racism, foreign intervention, and most significantly the COVID-19 pandemic, I have reflected deeply about what we celebrate with the 4th of July. These issues are just a few of the many that have made me wonder about the country we praise so proudly. 

Am I really proud to be an American? 

Thomas Jefferson wrote the candid words of the Declaration of Independence, which were the words that helped form the ideals of our new country: 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." (Declaration of Independence, In Congress 1776)

These words hit me hard as I read them again this year. The United States came into being based on the idea, in simpler words, that all men are equal in their rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We all have a voice to say whether our representatives or government are doing the right thing or not. What hit hardest was the idea that "whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it." That is what our country needs right now. 

I am not saying we need to abolish our government, but these words were inspired for a reason. No government, no matter how perfect it may seem, will stay in perfect condition without proper maintenance. To put it simply, any country or society is like a car that needs regular check ups and maintenance to keep running smoothly for longer periods of time. Our country is not getting regular maintenance. We have several engines problems and as Thomas Jefferson wrote, "it is [our right as a people] to alter...it." It is our right to make the changes to our government so that no one's unalienable rights are denied. 

In no way, shape or form am I an expert on anything having to do with public policy, government or politics. I wish that I could go through and name as specifically as Jefferson did that abuses and fallacies of our current government and suggest the details of how to change them, but unfortunately I am not well-versed enough to do so at this time. But I am doing my best to be informed and see what difference can be made in our society to ensure that every person in our country receives equal treatment and liberties. 

Am I proud of the current president of the United States? No. Am I proud of the current administration? Am I proud of the state of affairs in America? No. Am I proud of the systemic racism that exists here? No. Am I proud of the lack of accountability in our law enforcement agencies currently? No. 

But I am proud to be an American. 

We now have a new meaning to the words from "God Bless the USA": 

"I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I proudly stand up next to you
To Defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA!"

May I suggest that we take these words to heart. I will stand up next you to defend her still today. I will stand up next to you and defend our country that is not perfect, but we can make the changes to our country as Jefferson said in order to give us the best chance for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We have the right to stand up together and fight injustices such as those that are happening in our country right now. To make the United States as it was intended by the founding fathers, we need to continually work to do. We need to be the men who will give our lives, maybe figuratively in service to give those rights back to the people. 

There is no doubt I love this land. We can do our duties to not only strengthen our country, but to heal it in the way it needs. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Doo da Day!

Dear Readers, You'll all be pleased to know that I accomplished something recently. It involves music and I feel very proud of myself. I was selected by our music director to play in our school's concerto night sometime during the month of May. This is one of the few things I've been hoping to do for a very long time. Although, there are a few reservations about being part of this honor. One of which deals with how the selection process works. I know it doesn't matter in the least bit, but I can't help thinking about me being picked as a senior. I tried out last year and did not make it as one of the soloists. I have to assume that had to be part of the process in selecting someone when looking at the list of soloists. They are all amazingly talented people in music, many of which were part of Concerto night last night. Most of the ones who were not participated in the Spring Concert as soloists. See what I mean? It could be possible that I was picked merely because

You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breath, shine like gold...

Dear Readers, Ok, so I can't fit the entire title into the title box. It's a good song, go look it up: "You make me smile." The title can apply to anyone, I've found. The rest of the lyrics would probably refer to a best friend or a significant other, but anyone can make you smile. They all have the own way of doing it. Some are just funny all the time and you can't help smiling when you're around that person. I know some who take care of people so well that you just smile when they're doing something for another. Others you can talk to about your problems and no matter what they say, it seems to make sense and you feel better...thus a smile. Ok, a smile doesn't always come in that case, but people usually smile after that. Anyone can have a blonde moment and make everyone smile because of it. I'm glad I've got friends who can do all of these: have blonde moments, take care of others or have an episode of hyperactivity that you can't he

That's What Makes the World Go 'Round!

Dear Reader, Bonus points go to whoever can name what movie today's song title comes from. Comment below to submit your answers. Today I wanted to give you an update on the great " ALS Ice Bucket Challenge " that is taking the internet by storm. What started as a small campaign to raise awareness and funds for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease) has grown and caused thousands of people to dump ice or ice water over their heads. That is how it works: one person nominates another to the challenge. That nominated person then has 24 hours to either donate $100 to the ALS foundation or have a bucket of ice dumped over their head. I would like to think most people are both accepting the ice bucket challenge and donating to charity. I won't judge, though. With all of this publicity that the ALS campaign has received, it made me think of other fads that people participated in during the 1920s and 1930s. Did you know that people regularly participated